Tyler police identify 1 killed, 1 injured by electrical shock

Published: Feb. 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM CST|Updated: Nov. 3, 2017 at 7:51 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Tyler police have identified two people who were injured Friday, one fatally, by an electrical shock.

Police say the two people are Wesley Ray Cain, 34, of Whitehouse, and Billy Titsworth, 42 of Wills Point. Cain was transported to ETMC and later pronounced dead. Titsworth was transported to Trinity Mother Francis and then transferred to Dallas.

The two Oncor contractors were injured while attempting to make repairs to a damaged utility pole. They were employed by Willbros T&D Services, according to spokesperson Steve Breitigam.

Breitgam said one of the men came in contact with a wire that was still live. That man came in contact with the other and electricity was transferred through their bodily connection.

Oncor spokesperson Charles Hill said they are still investigating and have not determined why the electricity was not turned off. HIll said contractors are trained to treat every line they approach like it's live. OSHA has been contacted and will be investigating the incident.

Tyler Police Department says the pole was damaged when a driver who struck it early Friday morning in the 1000 block of Southeast Loop 323. The driver then fled the scene.

Police say the driver in the crash, Adrian Juarez Noyola, 25, of Tyler, was operating the vehicle without a license. Investigators obtained a warrant for Noyola, who has been charged with duty upon striking fixture/landscape, a class B misdemeanor.

Noyola was arrested and transported to Smith County Jail. His bail has been set at $20,000.

Noyola also has an ICE immigration detainer.

The police department released a statement on the incident Friday morning:

"Tyler Police were notified of the one vehicle crash around 1:30 a.m. where a 2009, Dodge Ram Pick-up struck a utility pole in the eastbound lanes of the 1000 block of ESE Loop 323.  The vehicle left the scene of the crash and was located by police near T.K. Gorman School abandoned.

Contract employees of Oncor arrived on the scene to handle power lines down and a snapped pole.  At 5:20 a.m. two contract employees were injured by an electrical shock from the damaged area. They were both transported to ETMC with serious injuries by EMS, one of them was pronounced dead at the hospital. Oncor officials will release the names of the injured and deceased when appropriate."

Oncor later released the following statement about the incident:

This tragic accident is currently under investigation. Our deepest condolences go out to the families of these individuals, who as contractors, were working to provide Oncor customers with reliable service. This incident underscores the importance of safety around power lines and electrical equipment. If you see a downed line, stay away and call 9-1-1 immediately.

Copyright 2017 KLTV. All rights reserved.