Brother of Tyler murder victim: 'I don't think the shock has hit me yet'

Published: Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM CST|Updated: Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:55 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Police made an arrest Sunday in the murder of an elderly Tyler man.

Just after 11 P.M. Saturday, 65 year old Tony Jeter was found dead at his home on Bow street.

Charles Sanchez said he is still in shock after finding his half-brother on the floor late Saturday night.

"I'll never forget Tony," Sanchez said. "Every time I come over here I'll always see him."

Sanchez visited Jeter daily, making sure his special needs brother had everything he needed before bed at night.

"Tony called me about 5:30 P.M," Sanchez said. "He asked me if I had already come by and I said, no I would come by later. He said why don't you fix that ham I gave you and U said I'll fix it for you and bring it over tonight."

But when Sanchez arrived at the home just after 11 P.M., he said he knew something wasn't right.

"I saw the two front doors open and I went on in and found Tony on the floor."

Sanchez said his younger brother had been stabbed three times in the neck and that his wallet and money were missing.

Tyler Police believe 25 year old John Grimes of Tyler killed Jeter sometime Saturday afternoon before fleeing the scene.

Jeter's neighbors said it couldn't have happened to a more generous person.

"He would stop people," said neighbor Ross Pettigrew. "He would see people walking without a place to go, and say I've got this y'all are welcome. I ain't got much, but y'all can come in."

Sanchez believes his half-brother, who spent the last 15 years volunteering for the Salvation Army, was likely taken advantage of due to his mental condition.

"Tony was a happy go lucky guy," Sanchez said. "He never met anybody he didn't make friends with. He had too good of a heart, too good of a heart."

But even in tragedy, Sanchez said he can at least find some closure.

"Tony is in a better place now and I think the laws of the land will take care of the situation," he said. "I know [Grimes] is not going to hurt anybody else."

John Grimes has been charged with capital murder and was booked into the Smith County jail Sunday afternoon. He is being held on a $1 million bond.

Tyler Police have not released a motive for the crime at this time. Authorities said the incident remains under investigation.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.