From the Mineola Volunteer Fire Department:
QUITMAN, TX (KLTV) - Members of the Quitman, Hainesville, Mineola and Longview Fire Departments respond to a Hazardous Materials (Haz-Mat) incident reported to be in the emergency room of East Texas Medical Center (ETMC) Quitman.
The initial call for service to Mineola FD began at approximately 3:30 p.m. on 04/28/2012 with a request to assist ETMC EMS on FM 1799 in Wood County. It was reported that the incident involved an exposure to a toxic substance. The toxic substance was reported to emergency service personnel as "Temik", reported by some resources available as on of the most toxic poisons that may have ever been produced.
At approximately 7:30 p.m., the Quitman Fire Department was called to respond to ETMC Quitman to assist with the clean up efforts inside the emergency room after patient treatment and care.
After Quitman Fire Department assessed the situation they requested the assistance of the Mineola, Hainesville and Longview Fire Departments.
The Longview Fire Department was special requested for their Haz-Mat team and expertise in Haz-Mat operations. Through a combined effort, the emergency responders determined that the threat of potential contamination to the emergency personal that treated the exposed patient warranted immediate action.
Additionally, the evaluation of the incident necessitated the temporary closure of the ETMC Quitman emergency room. The remainder of the hospital was allowed to operate as usual.
All emergency first responders and emergency room staff had to be Decontaminated (Decon) for their protection against possible contamination on site and immediately. They also were given a medical evaluation to establish to determine if they had any signs or symptoms of exposure to the poison.
The emergency room was cleared and cleaned by Haz-Mat technicians as safely and quickly as possible.
Concurrently, there was a secondary scene established at the patient's home to recover and dispose of the remaining poison. This site was managed with care by members of the Mineola Fire Department with the assistance of Tyler Fire Department Haz-Mat team.