East Texans line the streets of Troup to welcome home Cooper Reid
TROUP, Texas (KLTV) - It’s a big step in the right direction for an East Texas high school football player badly injured during Troup High School’s homecoming game back in September.
Cooper Reid arrived home Wednesday from a Houston hospital with lots of friends, classmates, family members, and others lining the sides of the roads in the small town, waving and cheering, holding signs welcoming Cooper home to Troup.
“It’s been incredible,” sister Whitney Reid said about the communities support. And I can truly say that without the support of everyone, I don’t know how we would have made it through.”
He’s been receiving around-the-clock care after suffering a brain injury on the football field and some setbacks that followed. Reid will now continue his recovery at home.
Cooper’s first grade teacher Jan Singletary wears a bracelet saying “Pray 4 Cooper,” praying for his health. ““The Lord has answered those prayers and this community is so excited to have them back home, and we will do whatever we need to do to support the continued progress and healing for Cooper Reid,” Singletary said.
Teammate Kevin Pierce calls Cooper Reid his brother as the football team is a brotherhood. “Very, very trusting friend. You can tell him just about anything and he’ll be there for you 100%. All the time,” Pierce said.
Reid is still not able to talk, the Facebook page that shares updates on his condition said, but is showing signs of progress, like chewing and swallowing soft foods.
- Basketball teams in Troup hold ‘Hoop for Coop’ free throw fundraiser
- Injured Troup football player continues recovery
- Community raises funds for injured Troup football player
- Injured Troup football player facing ‘bit of a setback’
- Injured Troup football player responding to therapy sessions
- Injured Troup football player Cooper Reid making progress in Houston
- Troup community continues to pray for Cooper Reid following head injury on the football field
- Injured Troup football player recovering from surgery
- Troup High School football player ‘continues to heal’ from head injury during game
- Troup High School football player suffers head injury during game
Copyright 2023 KLTV. All rights reserved.