Tyler fire marshal’s report says candle may have started Ada Ave. house fire
TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - Firefighters responded to reports of a structure fire in the 2800 block of Ada Ave. The call came in around 3:30 a.m.
A caller from the home reported seeing fire in one of the bedrooms, with two occupants exiting the structure, according to a release from Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley. Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames coming from a rear window and the roof of the structure. Three fire engines and one ladder company, along with a battalion chief and an investigator responded to the scene.
Upon entry, firefighters began searching the structure for any remaining occupants. All residents were able to successfully exit the home. Firefighters were able to quickly control the fire and remained on the scene until approximately 5:30 a.m. A resident reported waking up to a fire near a candle that was left burning in a bedroom, Findley said. Upon noticing the fire, a 12-year-old girl notified her 84-year-old relative and assisted her out of the structure.
Investigators with the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office confirmed that the fire originated in a bedroom around an area consistent with the occupant’s description. One firefighter suffered 2nd degree burns to his facial area and was treated and released from a local hospital. No other injuries were reported. The American Red Cross was notified and will be assisting the family.
Copyright 2023 KLTV. All rights reserved.