Tyler ISD warns about resurgence of ‘One Chip Challenge’
TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - After three Tyler ISD middle school students were taken to the hospital by their parents Monday, district leadership is warning parents and students about the danger of the challenge known as the “One Chip Challenge.”
“They started having violent vomiting on campus and it just would not stop, so we had to call their parents, and the parents had to take them to the hospital to be checked out,” said Rachel Barber, Director of Health Services for Tyler ISD.
The challenge dares people to eat a chip covered in Carolina Reaper and ghost pepper seasonings, two of the world’s hottest peppers.
“It’s sold at different stores and gas stations around town, and students are buying it to see if they can withstand the effects of the chip,” Barber said. She said effects include vomiting, shortness of breath and dehydration.
This is not the first time the social media challenge has come around. In 2021, “we had a student (who was) actually sent to the hospital by EMS because they passed out at school because of the effects of that challenge,” Barber explained.
“Your safety and your well-being is at risk right now, and that’s really what we’re concerned about,” Barber said. “There’re so many things that are more important in the world right now than social media likes or being popular because you ate a chip.”
The company behind the chips made the following statement:
We care about our consumers and are concerned when we hear about the rare incidents of those who had a negative reaction to the One Chip Challenge.
We know the difficulty of the challenge is a great part of its allure. That’s why we take safety very seriously and have worked hard to ensure our products are properly and clearly labeled with allergen and safety information. It is our intent that consumers take on this challenge with a full understanding of what it is and if it is appropriate for them.
As our labeling states, the Paqui One Chip Challenge is notoriously hot. The product should be handled with extreme care. Our One Chip Challenge packaging includes a safety disclaimer noting that it should not be ingested by individuals who are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades, or capsaicin, or who are minors, pregnant or have medical conditions.
The challenge can be fun for those who understand what they are taking on, but nonetheless, we hope that people considering taking this challenge will first read the packaging carefully to avoid a negative experience.
Copyright 2022 KLTV. All rights reserved.