Advertisement

Tyler fire marshal spots fire on way to work, helps residents to safety

Shed behind Tyler home destroyed in fire.
Shed behind Tyler home destroyed in fire.((Source: KLTV))
Published: Jan. 24, 2022 at 10:13 AM CST|Updated: Jan. 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - A shed caught fire Monday morning behind a home in Tyler, and the Tyler Fire Marshal just happened to be in the neighborhood and was able to help.

The fire happened in the 400 block of S. Peach Avenue in Tyler. Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley was driving to work for a meeting when he heard what sounded like an explosion. He saw a black cloud of smoke, and went to investigate.

When he got to the house, he was met by a woman who said she lives in the house and had been awakened by the explosion sound. She said there were other people in the house.

Findley went inside to get the three other adults and two children out of the home as smoke began filling the house. They all escaped safely.

The homeowners and tenants said a shed in the carport/storage room area caught fire after a heater was left on. The fire then spread into the attic, according to the fire department. Shortly after, firefighters were able to contain the flames quickly and they ventilated the house.

Damage to the home was minimal.

“One positive is that the smoke detectors did start working as smoke began filling up the house,” said Findley. “If this had happened at 2 a.m. those smoke detectors could have saved this family’s lives.”

Copyright 2022 KLTV. All rights reserved.