Therapists see increase in telehealth sessions, even when in-person option is available

Here is the latest news from the KLTV East Texas Now News Desk.
Published: Jul. 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM CDT|Updated: Jul. 8, 2021 at 6:39 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - When it comes to mental health, the COVID-19 pandemic shifted the ways to access care to virtual therapy methods.

In regards to mental health and virtual therapy, Kimberly Montgomery, the CEO Supervisor and Therapist at Therapy Inspired, Jennifer Wood, a co-owner at Bridge Therapeutic services and licensed professional counselor, as well as Daniel Knecht, MD, MBA, the Vice President of Clinical Product at CVS Health, shared their thoughts.

“I would say maybe about 30% of my caseload was like ‘yes I would like to come in and meet you face to face’ and the other 70% were like ‘I’m good with telehealth,’” Montgomery said.

Both Montgomery and Wood said the convenience of virtual sessions is what drives so many clients to this option.

“Sometimes I have done counseling with clients in their cars or at home if they have a sick kid,” Wood said.

And they said it looks like hybrid will be the future of healthcare. The 2021 Health Care Insights Study found that 56% of respondents in Houston have shifted to virtual visits. The pandemic put pressures on people they had not experienced before in such extended periods. Social isolation and economic uncertainty impacted many people’s mental wellbeing and mental health.

Due to a lack of resources and support for the vulnerable populations, statistics found an increased level of substance abuse, including an uptake in the use of nicotine, alcohol, and opioids.

Copyright 2021 KLTV. All rights reserved.