Deputy, suspect shot following Gilmer gas station shooting, hours-long search

Updated: Nov. 16, 2020 at 9:06 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPSHUR COUNTY, Texas (KLTV) - A shooting and chase suspect and Upshur County deputy were sent to a hospital following a chase and shooting.

According to an Upshur County Sheriff’s Office press release, Gilmer police and Upshur County deputies responded to the CEFCO store at the intersection of US 271 and State Highway 300.

Upshur County roadblock
Upshur County roadblock(KLTV)

According to Upshur County Sheriff Larry Webb, a customer had some kind of disagreement with the clerk.

“There were shots fire, multiple shots fired inside the store. The subject then left and went outside and continued to shoot more rounds outside,” Webb said.

And some hit a customer’s vehicle.

“The suspect then left the scene, going on 300 southbound towards Longview,” Webb said.

Webb says he was spotted by Gilmer Police and a deputy, but the suspect kept going and began shooting at them.

“He was able to elude us. We didn’t know where he had gone from there,” Webb said.

But they had the license plate and got an address on Snider Road.

“As my deputy was driving up to the location, he immediately started receiving fire from an unknown location there,” Webb said.

The sheriff says it was very dark out there around 2 am, and that’s when a couple, Mathew and Kara who were staying nearby, heard gunfire.

“Then we heard four or five more rounds and they were much louder. It sounded like they were coming from the forest or someplace really close to where we were staying so I told my girlfriend to call the police. She called the police and I got the shotgun, loaded the gun. And by that time police had told her there was something going on,” Mathew said.

The two drove off. Webb says about five am the suspect drove towards the roadblock.

“A gun battle ensued there. One of my deputies was wounded. The suspect was shot and wounded,” Webb said.

Both were taken to a hospital for treatment.

The deputy was treated and released while the suspect remains hospitalized and faces multiple charges. The incident is being investigated by the Texas Rangers.

Officers from Longview police, Gregg County Sheriff’s Office and Ore City police also responded to the incident.

Copyright 2020 KLTV. All rights reserved.