Fire marshal: Cause of Kilgore house fire likely cooking related
KILGORE, Texas (KLTV) - UPDATE: A house fire that destroyed a Kilgore home Sunday night likely started in the kitchen and was cooking related, according to Gregg County Fire Marshal Mark Moore.
“The fire was accidental in nature," Moore said. “It appears that it’s going to be some type of cooking material they left unattended.”
The fire happened shortly before 8 p.m. in the 2500 block of Stone Road. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire in the back of the house.
“Looked like it had progressed quite rapidly due to the age of the house and just the fuel conditions that were available.” Moore said.
Three people were inside at the time of the fire. All were able to escape, but Moore said a family pet died.
The house is a total loss, and the Red Cross was called Sunday night to assist the family.
“Which was very critical for this family because obviously they have lost everything they had," Moore said.
If you’d like to help, donations of clothing, household items or gift cards can be dropped off between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day this week at the First Presbyterian Church at 815 Main St. in Kilgore. Monetary donations can be dropped off at the same location.
Moore said it is important to be aware of how and where you discard cooking material, as well as making sure your house has working smoke detectors — especially this time of year.
An investigation is underway after a large house fire broke out in Kilgore Sunday night.
According to Kilgore Police, the incident happened at a house on Stone Road, near Faith Baptist Church.
A Facebook post from the department around 8 p.m. showed the house fully engulfed in flames. At that time, police were asking people to stay away from this area.
We’re told neighbors in the area heard two explosions during the time of the fire.
Police said officers, firefighters, and EMS crews responded to the scene.
We are working to learn how the incident started and if anyone was injured.
This is a developing story. We will have the latest updates available throughout the morning on GMET. Click here to watch live newscast.
Copyright 2020 KLTV. All rights reserved.