HENDERSON COUNTY, Texas (KLTV) - A small fire that produced a large amount of smoke forced the evacuation of Eustace Intermediate School Friday morning.
According to Superintendent Coy Holcombe, a piece of equipment in a custodial area malfunctioned and caught fire.
“All students and staff were evacuated safely and are all safe at the Kirk Gym,” Holcombe said.
According to Payne Springs Fire Rescue, the fire started in a dryer in the 4th grade hallway.
“Crews worked to ventilate the hall and classrooms while ISD employees and firefighters worked to clean up the water,” the fire department posted.
Students will not be returning to the school building Friday, though, lunch will be provided.
The school district said parents are able to pick up their children at Kirk Gym at any point. If a student rides the bus, they will be picked up at the gym.
Multiple area fire department responded, including: Eustace Fire Dept., Gun Barrel City Fire Dept., Mabank Fire Dept., Payne Springs Fire Dept., Trinidad Fire Dept., and Caney City Fire Dept.