WASHINGTON D.C. (KLTV) - U.S. Senator Ted Cruz will be delivering remarks on the Senate floor on Thursday afternoon regarding the border crisis.
His remarks will be livestreamed on East Texas Now.
Sen. Cruz’s office released the following press release regarding his remarks on the floor:
Today, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz will deliver remarks on the Senate floor to draw attention to the ongoing humanitarian crisis on the southern border and call on Congress to solve the border crisis. Last week, Sen. Cruz toured the Rio Grande Valley Centralized Processing Center, the largest immigration-processing center in the United States. In May, the Border Patrol apprehended over 144,000 individuals along the southern border, a record-breaking number.
U.S. Border Crisis by the Numbers in the Rio Grande Valley
- 50,000 apprehensions in the RGV sector in May
- 12 deaths at the border last week
- 1,400 fraudulent families detected
- 30 hospital trips each day
- 50% of single males apprehended at the border had a child with them, up from 2% in 2014
- 60 countries of origin for individuals apprehended
- 60% of border patrol agents at detention centers, instead of the border