TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Michelle Griffin, owner of Vic’s Scratch Kitchen in Tyler, shows us how to take a basic vinaigrette and change it into various healthy options for your pickiest eaters. You may finally get your family to eat their salad when you try these options!
Yield ½ Cup
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· 2 Tbls vinegar of choice*
· 2 tsp Dijon mustard
· 2 tsp maple syrup or honey (omit for sugar free)
· 1 medium garlic clove
· 1/8 tsp fine sea salt, to taste
· Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk until completely mixed together. Test and adjust to taste. If too much oil, add more vinegar and/or maple syrup/honey. If too acidic, add more oil or maple syrup/honey. If a little bland, add a little more salt, pepper and/or garlic.
Refrigerate if not using immediately. Will last 7-10 days in fridge. If oil solidifies just leave on counter to bring to room temperature or microwave gently. Whisk vinaigrette just before serving to combine flavors.
*Vinegar of Choice
· Balsamic Vinegar – pairs well with salads that contain fruit
· Red Wine Vinegar or Sherry Vinegar – very versatile dressing for all salads
· White Wine Vinegar or Champagne Vinegar – a subtle dressing
· Or Lemon Juice
· Add some pureed strawberry, raspberry or blueberry for a fruity vinaigrette
· Add 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt to make it creamy