LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - The Longview Fire Department and the Longview City Council honored a special, courageous hero when they met on Thursday.
Four-year-old Pine Tree Primary student Elijah Stewart was recognized for saving his family by alerting them of a house fire, allowing them to get out safely.
At about 6:20 a.m. on Dec. 15, Elijah was in the kitchen of his home on the 1200 block of Independence Drive when he noticed a fire in the attached garage. According to the Longivew Fire Department, Elijah quickly alerted his family which allowed for everyone to get out.
During the fire department’s public safety update during the meeting, Fire Chief JP Steelman took time to recognized Elijah’s quick and courageous actions.
“Elijah, on behalf of the Longview Fire Department, we want you to know you’re a hero,” said Chief Steelman. “You’re a hero to your family, to your school, to the fire department, to the City of Longview."
Elijah was brought up and recognized in front of the council and the mayor. He received awards from both Chief Steelman, Fire Marshal Kevin May and Sparky the Fire Dog.
And where did the little hero learn what to do in case of a fire? He says he remembered all the “important stuff" from the fire department’s Fire Safety Puppet Show.
“This wonderful example of feedback demonstrates how the efforts of the Fire Education Team and our LFD crews who put on the Fire Safety Puppet Shows during Fire Prevention Month are not just being seen for the entertainment value, but do indeed hold real rewarding life saving messages," said the fire department in a Facebook message.