Update 05:25 PM:
According to authorities, the damage to a Smith County jail from a flash explosion was minimal, and the worker that was sent to the hospital was not seriously injured.
The explosion happened during a maintenance procedure. As the worker tightened a gas valve, a second valve released gas which was ignited by a nearby water heater.
Stored materials in a linen closet then caught fire. The fire caused minimal damage to the storage area.
During the incident, inmates were evacuated to a secure location on the premise under guards' supervision. Twenty-four inmates are being transferred to Gregg County for one night to allow for clean up of the affected area.
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - A flash explosion in the Smith County Low Risk Detention Center caused a fire and sent one man to the hospital.