Baby Dies Of Electrocution - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

9/24/02 - Smith County

Baby Dies Of Electrocution

What started as innocent child's play for 14 month old Brandon Lee Craven...ended in an accidental electrocution, "He said momma," says Elizabeth Craven who watched her son die. "That was the last word he said then we did CPR and took him to the hospital."

Craven tried to rescue her son, but electrical currents knocked her to the floor.

"There were no wires on the ground, no wires on the pole. He just touched a small pole that has white paint on it...he just touched the pole," Craven Explains.

Sheriff's investigators say there were no dangling wires within reach, but believe a TV antenna had rubbed into an open wire, shorting it out...causing electricity to go down the pole. While the original meter was put in by Wood County Co-op, investigators aren't sure who did additional wiring that jumped off the that meter.

As an investigation begins, a family grieves. No charges have been filed against the baby's parents or the property owner. It will be up to the D.A.'s office to determine if they will be charged with criminal negligent homicide.

Powered by Frankly