Senior Athens couple loses everything in house fire - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

ATHENS (KLTV)

Senior Athens couple loses everything in house fire

An senior Athens couple escaped from their burning home Saturday, but lost everything inside.  The blaze started around 6:00 p.m. in the 300 Block of Wallace Street in Athens.  

Neighbors tell East Texas news the fire started in a closet from a breaker box.  Jack and Pera Selman who are in their 80's, neighbors say smelled smoke and immediately got out of their house.  The couple's daughter who was living with them neighbors say tried to save some of her things, but the flames spread too quickly.

"On this end of the house that was burnt, her daughter lost all of her stuff," said neighbor Nancy Andree.  "That was all burnt to a crisp, including her purse, her driver's license, all her papers, her identity was in there, and on this end of the house because of the smoke, the fire was so bad over there the fire department had to break the windows out, but there is nothing salvageable in there."  Neighbors say the couple live on a fixed income and only have minimal insurance.  If you would like to help, First Assembly of God in Athens is accepting donations.

Molly Reuter, Reporting. mreuter@kltv.com

 

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.