Two Big Sandy students in hospital after being bit by venomous snake in class - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

BIG SANDY (KLTV)

Two Big Sandy students in hospital after being bit by venomous snake in class

Two Big Sandy high school juniors are in Trinity Mother Frances hospital today after being bitten by a water moccasin that was being kept in their classroom.

The incident happened yesterday around 12:30 pm. According to Superintendent Scott Beene of Big Sandy ISD, the water moccasin had been brought in earlier in the year by some students and was misidentified by the teacher, who thought it was a water snake. Yesterday, some of the students found a rat snake, which they attempted to put into the aquarium with the water moccasin. The snakes began fighting, and when one of the students reached in to remove the rat snake, he was bitten by the water moccasin. Another student attempted to help the other boy, and was bitten himself.

Superintendent Beene says the school made a mistake and that they will more closely monitor what is allowed and not allowed in the science classroom.  Beene also said that he had been to see both students in the hospital.

KLTV 7's Bob Hallmark talked to the parents of one of the kids this afternoon. They told him, although one boy is in ICU; both boys are expected to make a full recovery.

KLTV 7 and KLTV.com will have more for you as this story develops today.

Cathryn Khalil / ckhalil@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly