FEMA - Cherokee County help - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News


FEMA - Cherokee County help

Cherokee County residents who suffered losses from Hurricane Ike will be able to get face-to-face assistance at the FEMA/State Disaster Recovery Center opens in Rusk at the following location:

Cherokee County

Rusk KOA Kampground

745 FM 343 East

Rusk, TX 75785


10 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and Saturday

1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday

Directions:  From Jacksonville (~ 12 miles)  69 S to  east (left) on Hwy 343 (left @ flashing light, 1/2 mile up on the left). 

From Alto, Wells, Lufkin area:  69 N. to east (right) on Hwy 343 (right @ flashing light, 1/2 mile up on the left). 

From Palestine area:  84 East to Hwy 69, 69 S to  east (left) on Hwy 343 (left @ flashing light, 1/2 mile up on the left).

A full listing of Disaster Recovery Centers and operational times is available at www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem/pages/dr1791_drc_list.htm

Residents are encouraged to register with FEMA before visiting a center. There are two ways to register: log on to www.fema.gov or call FEMA's toll free number, 1-800-621-3362, or TTY 1-800-462-7585. Both numbers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, until further notice.

Before calling, residents should be sure to have:

  • A phone number and an alternate phone number where they can be reached
  • A current address where the applicant receives mail
  • The address of the affected property
  • A brief description of the damages
  • Social Security number, and
  • Insurance information including policy numbers

Residents should register only once; duplicate registrations may cause delays in the delivery of assistance.  However, they should keep in touch with FEMA and check their status by calling the FEMA helpline, 1-800-621-3362 or TTY 1-800-462-7585.

Before going to a Disaster Recovery Center, residents should make sure to have their identification, Social Security number, insurance information, proof of address and contact numbers.

At the center, visitors can:

  • Receive information about different types of state and federal disaster assistance.
  • Get help completing low-interest loan applications from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for homeowners, renters and business owners.
  • Inquire about the status of applications for federal assistance.
  • Receive referrals to the American Red Cross and other voluntary organizations to help with immediate unmet needs.
  • Learn cost-effective measures to reduce the impact of future disaster losses.
  • Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repair and other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance or other sources.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) provides low-interest disaster loans to cover the uncompensated losses for personal contents up to $40,000 for both homeowners and renters and up to $200,000 for homeowners for physical damage to their primary residence.  The SBA also provides low-interest loans up to $2 million for uncompensated physical losses suffered by businesses of any size and private non-profit organizations.  Additionally, working capital loans are available for economic injuries sustained by small businesses in the declared counties and the adjoining counties.  The combination of the two business loans cannot exceed $2 million.  For information about SBA programs, applicants may call 800-659-2955 (TTY 800-877-8339).

More information is available online at www.fema.gov or www.txdps.state.tx.us/dem.

Cathryn Khalil / ckhalil@gmail.com

Powered by Frankly