House Fire, Small Explosions Probably Caused By Cats

Smith County Assistant Fire Marshal Marilynn Wilson has said that a house fire in southeast Smith County on FM 15 was possibly caused by cats knocking over some chemicals in a storage area, causing a combustible fire and resulting in small explosions from propane tanks also stored in the building.

The fire was contained to the rear of the home, causing heavy damage. The rest of the house suffered smoke and water damage, and is considered a total loss.

No injuries were reported, as the occupant had left the house 15 minutes before the fire broke out.

The homeowner is currently hospitalized for medical reasons unrelated to this morning's fire.

Fire departments from Troup and Arp responded around 8:30 am.