Troup Home Completely Burned In Second Fire In 24 Hours

In less than 24 hours, the home of an east Texas family catches fire for a second time.

The home, which is on the corner of Noble and Beulah street in Troup, first caught fire yesterday afternoon as the family was moving in.

An electrician turned on the electricity, but a knob on the stove was accidentally left on. It ignited and caught a picture frame laying near the stove on fire.

Then, around 5 this morning, the house was engulfed in flames again.

Officials say a hot spot in the insulation in the attic caught fire. Almost everything they owned was inside the house, and the family was planning to spend their first night there tonight.

As KLTV 7's Danielle Capper shows us, they are now trying to figure out just what to do next.

Tomika Austin still can't believe what's happened in just a day.

"I have two boys, ages 6 and 11, and we were moving back to Troup from Tyler. And we had put all our furniture, groceries, food, clothes here."

Just yesterday she was going to get the very last of her things when she came back to the fire.

"[I saw] ambulance, police. I was crying, my kids were crying."

After the first fire, some of their things could have been salvaged. But because of this second fire, that's not the case anymore.

"I had to come back down here again to see this terrible feeling again...I don't have anywhere to stay right now. I just cried, mainly because I got everything in the house remodeled. Everything was brand new."

Tomeka had put in floors, appliances, windows, furniture, even the smallest of details, like bordering throughout the house.

Even her son's medical equipment was damaged. "This is our bathroom. I had all that remodeled and everything. My little boy has asthma and all his medicine and stuff was up in here and it got messed up."

Now she's dealing with what's left, and taking it a step at a time.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, me and my kids. I'm going to take it day by day. Anybody that is out there that can help us, whatever they can do it would be a blessing with me and my kids.

The family does have insurance for the house, but all of their belongings were uninsured.

If you would like to help, an account has been set up at arp state bank under the name Tomika Austin fund.

Danielle Capper, reporting.