Henderson Home Destroyed In Fire

Their home had been in their family for generations, but an East Texas family is forced to start over after fire destroys everything they own.  The fire started early Saturday morning at a home located in the 2,400 Block of West Main Street in Henderson.  Fortunately, everyone inside was able to get out safely, but the home was a total loss.

"You don't expect it to happen, but things just happen," said resident Brandon Hicks.  Several generations of the Hicks family had lived at the family home that once stood on West Main, but Saturday morning in a matter of minutes it was gone.

"It was just unbelievable when we got here, it was all gone," said Grandmother Joan Houston.  Resident Stephanie Hicks, 47 is disabled and was hospitalized at the time.  She lost important items in the fire.

"My sister is in a wheelchair and even her wheelchairs burned up in there," said Stephanie's sister Tish Spillers.  "We just don't know where to go."  Worse than losing their possessions and clothes the Hicks lost something they felt was more valuable, the family pets, two dogs and a parrot were trapped inside.  Everything was lost, clothes, furniture even most of the children's toys.

"Nothing left, no clothes nowhere to live, not a pot to cook in," said Houston.  The loss has left the family nowhere to turn.

"Where am I going to put my mom now, where am I going to send her to now, she's got nowhere to go," said Brandon.  Investigators say they still don't know what started the fire, but they do know it wasn't an electrical fire.  If you'd like to help the family, a Relief Fund has been set up at Citizens State Bank of Henderson in the name of Stephanie Hicks.

Bob Hallmark, Reporting. bhallmark@kltv.com