Smith County House Fire Damages Uninsured Home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

06/10/08 - Smith County

Smith County House Fire Damages Uninsured Home

A fire that damaged a Smith County home Tuesday night is now under control.

The fire broke out around 4:00 pm this afternoon at a home on FM 2767, just west of County Road 211, stemming from an electrical problem with a breaker box in a closet of the home. According to Smith County assistant Fire Marshal Marilynn Wilson, the fire was contained to the attic and ceiling of the home. Firefighters covered furniture in the home to keep it from being damaged.

Three people, a man, his wife, and her brother, were at home at the time of the fire. They discovered it after hearing a loud buzzing sound coming from the breaker box. They were able to vacate the premises and call authorities.

Jackson volunteer fire department was first on the scene, followed by Winona. Due to some manpower problems, Red Springs, Arp, and Whitehouse volunteer fire departments also had to be called to the scene.

The home was being rented, and the occupants did not have insurance.

Cathryn Khalil, reporting. ckhalil@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly