1. Get the name and phone number of the owner and operator of the charter lines you're using.
2. Have they been doing business under another name?
3. Do they subcontract with another company? If so, get the same information about the second line.
4. Always ask for an insurance certificate. They should be provided with a phone call. The required level of liability insurance is $5 million.
5. Get the DOT and/or ICC numbers. Those are registration numbers you can use to search the history of a charter line. You can do that at the links below.