Investigators Sift Through What's Left Of Small Plane

The cabin of the single engine plane was upside down and virtually disintegrated, Sunday.  Not much was left of the Cessna 172 Chris Anderson and Mitchell Pasley were flying, Saturday afternoon when it crashed off Harbor Point Drive in Gun Barrel City.

"I was talking with Chris on the phone, yesterday," said David King.  King said he knew Chris, one of the pilots well.

"I said, 'what's all that noise,' and he said, 'well, we're taking off right now, and I'll call you as soon as we land,'" said King.  "Then I saw a clip on the TV about an hour later."  Sunday, warning tape surrounded the crash site and responders were on the ground, literally picking up the pieces of the plane crash that left neighbors in disbelief.

"As a pilot, I knew something was just not running right," said Wallace Newman.  Newman was out working in his yard when the plane flew directly overhead.

"He made a real steep bank to the left; when he flew overhead, he was probably at about 800 feet," said Newman.  Margaret Myers was in her home, just yards away from the crash site when the plane crash happened.

"I heard the plane as it clipped the high-line wires, and when it went down, it sounded like someone dropped a great big cement block on the ground," said Myers.  "It went boom."  Sunday, the focus turned to pinpointing exactly what happened.

"We're going to look at the pilot's experience, his training, his history, we're going to look over the aircraft, the engine, the air frame and we're going to take into consideration the wind, the weather, and temperature and things like that," said Jason Aguilera with the National Transportation Safety Board.  They're crucial elements, which will hopefully lead to crucial answers.

It has not yet been confirmed how much flight experience the two men had at the time of the accident.  NTSB says it's also unclear who was actually flying the plane at the time of the accident.

Layron Livingston, Reporting.