East Texas College Evacuates Students After Carbon Monoxide Leak - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

11/ 28/ 07- Kilgore

East Texas College Evacuates Students After Carbon Monoxide Leak

Dozens of people at Kilgore College were evacuated and sent to the hospital due to a carbon monoxide leak. All but one student has been released from the hospital after Wednesday's carbon monoxide scare in Kilgore. Carbon monoxide began leaking from a furnace on the first floor of of "Nolan Hall" girls dormitory shortly after seven this morning. Students inside the dorm started getting sick and that's when they say they knew something was terribly wrong. "All the girls were laying out and crying and saying they couldn't breathe and the ambulance was here. It was a mess this morning, it was horrible," said Kilgore college freshman Blair Victoria. 

Forty-one people were taken to Trinity Mother Frances hospital in Tyler. One female student is still hospitalized for observation. Campus officials tell us the furnace that was leaking carbon monoxide was an older furnace and has been replaced with a new one. 

Late Wednesday, Kilgore College reopened the dorm for students, after running extensive checks to make sure the leak was gone.  

As for students who feel unsafe staying in Nolan Hall, Kilgore College is putting them up in a hotel for the night.

LaKecia Shockley, Reporting. lshockley@kltv.com

 

Powered by Frankly