Fire Claims Hallsville Man - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

10/26/07-Longview

Fire Claims Hallsville Man

An East Texas man saves his family from a roaring fire, but could not save himself as he goes back into the home to put out the blaze.

It happened around seven yesterday morning at the 25-hundred block of Stan Summers Road near Hallsville. The ashes left behind are of a house that had been home to the Taylor family for three generations. 48 year old Ben Taylor was killed when he was trapped in the fire Thursday morning.

"When I looked out, I could see all that smoke and it just kind of blew me away, but I was hoping they would all get out," said neighbor and longtime family friend Judy Nichols.

"He was always just so kind, so helpful to any and everybody. Just a really good guy," said Taylor's aunt Ida Mae Darden.

Taylor had saved his 3 sisters and a niece staying at the home, getting them out uninjured.

"He was going to make sure his sisters were taken care of," said Darden.

After getting his family out, Taylor was determined to save his home. When he went back inside to put out the fire, the house was quickly engulfed and Taylor was trapped.

"It was the only home he ever knew, and he was trying to save that house" said Nichols.

For family and friends, Taylor's loss is hard, and they're remembering his gentle soul.

"Ben was the type of person that you could call him anytime of day, anytime of night, anywhere. Ben was going to be there," Darden said.

But they are accepting his loss with their faith.

"I know that the Lord had his arms around him, and I feel like the angels was taking care of him" said Darden.

Harrison County Fire Marshal's said there were no working smoke detectors in the home, and that a burning candle appears to have sparked the blaze. The home was completely destroyed. Fire Marshal's said this is a tragic reminder of why no one should ever go back into a burning home.

Bob Hallmark bhallmark@kltv.com .

Powered by Frankly