Fire Destroys Couple's 40 Year Old Home - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

10/12/07-Lindale

Fire Destroys Couple's 40 Year Old Home

A faulty florescent light fixture is to blame for a fire that destroyed an East Texas home Wednesday night. Investigators say the fire originated in a utility room of the house, located off of FM 849, just North of I-20 in Lindale. 

Burnt wooden beams and a melted cell phone is practically all that is left.

"I don't think it's really hit me yet, but it's pretty bad," said homeowner Jerrel Horn.

Jerrel and his wife were driving to a birthday party in Tyler when they got the call saying their house was on fire.

Investigators say the four-bedroom home is a total loss, but homeowner Jerrel Horn said he's just happy he and his wife are alive. Had they been asleep at the time, he said, it could have been much worse. The couple had lived in the house 40 years, raising their three daughters and creating memories that can't be replaced.

"You come in 40 years the same door, you know you don't even have to have the lights on and it's a warm place," Jerrel said.

But Jerrel also said they'll get through it, mainly with the help of their friends and a community that knows him for used car deals and house get togethers.  

"People came out last night and today, since five o'clock this morning they've been coming out and they've got a big heart," he said.

Jerrel siad the material possessions and the house will be replaced, but it's their home he'll miss the most.

"It's been wonderful and we've enjoyed living here. It's been a blessing and I don't know what we're going to do now."

Jerrel Horn said he is not sure right if they are going to rebuild the home, but they do have insurance.

Tracy Watler/Reporting: tracy@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly