Flood Victims Urged To Apply For Federal Aid - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News


Flood Victims Urged To Apply For Federal Aid

Few times has East Texas been hit like this.  Local and state disasters have been declared. That's the way to state and local aid.

But the most money is available from the federal government. Grants from FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and low-interest loans from the Small Business Administration are locked up until the President declares a federal disaster.

That's hoped for, so you're told to go ahead and register your damage with FEMA now.

To get aid if your county is declared a disaster by the President, you must first use all insurance benefits.  Next, you must apply for FEMA aid and an SBA loan to be eligible.  And you must have kept records of damage and insurance settlements. The basic information can be entered online, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA.

They'll provide the next step in applying for aid; and if federal funds become available, FEMA agents will be in East Texas.  You can get a maximum of more than $28,000 FEMA for temporary housing, repairs, cleanup and storage, medical costs, and damaged vehicles.

Homeowners can get low-interest SBA loans too, up to $200,000 for home repairs and $40,000 for personal property and vehicles.

So far, 16 counties in Texas have been declared disasters, all of them in north and central Texas. They were hit hard first, but few in East Texas who have been flooded here would our area escaped the worst of nature.

Morgan Palmer, reporting.

Powered by Frankly