Standoff Ends With Tyler Woman In Hospital - - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News


Standoff Ends With Tyler Woman In Hospital

A six-hour stand off in Tyler ends with an older Tyler woman in the hospital. The standoff started around noon at the woman's home on West 6th Street in Tyler which is directly behind the TISD Administration building.

As KLTV 7's Lindsay Wilcox explains, what started out as a welfare call, quickly turned into a dangerous situation for the woman, her daughter and police.  

For hours, Evelyn Thornton, 66, barricaded herself in her west Tyler home.  Police say Thornton's daughter called them out this morning, worried because her mother did not have electricity.

Officer Don Martin with the Tyler Police Department says, "She wasn't going to leave. It was her grounds.  It was 'This is my house, and I'm staying here.'  When we first made contact with her we thought, 'We're not going to push this issue with her today, because we didn't want it to turn into a volatile situation.'  When the daughter came back over after we had left, from my understanding, the mother had fired a couple of rounds at the daughter with a gun."

That's when police were called back in and the standoff began.

Neighbors looked on as the situation unfolded. Lakiesha Adkin's mother lives down the street.  She says Thornton never caused any trouble, but did have some strange habits.

"We see her early in the mornings. She likes to pick up cans, go up and down the street, around the neighborhood, and that's what she does.  But the last couple of weeks, we haven't seen her," said Adkins.

Police say they tried negotiating with Thornton, even using tear gas to try and coax her out. Ultimately, police made their way inside and confronted Thornton in a back closet.

From the street, you could hear several rounds fired. Officials say this happened after Thornton pointed her gun at the officers. It is unclear whether Thornton fired any shots, but officers did and it grazed Thornton in the head.

As she was loaded into the ambulance, police say she was conscious.

"She was talking to the officers, and that's about all I can tell you. They were working on her and again, we're extremely saddened that it had to end this way," says Officer Martin.

Thornton was taken to a local hospital where tonight, she is under police watch. We're told her injuries are not life-threatening.   There's no word on charges Thornton might face when she gets out of the hospital.  

Lindsay Wilcox, Reporting.



Powered by Frankly