Proud Of East Texas: Grand Saline - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

5/20/07-Grand Saline

Proud Of East Texas: Grand Saline

Right in the middle of the Van Zandt town of Grand Saline sits the Salt Palace. Salt has been intertwined with Grand Saline from the beginning. Salt was first discovered in Grand Saline by the Caddo Indians who used salt from the salt prairie in trading.

The Salt Palace is the fourth made out of salt. The first built in 1936 was in the shape of the Alamo. It melted away, as did the ones built in 1960 and 1975. The present building, built in 1993, has a façade of solid salt rocks donated by the Morton Salt Company

Morton Salt has been mining in Grand Saline since 1931. They say they have enough salt to last another twenty thousand years.

Joan Hallmark, Reporting.  joanhallmark@kltv.com

 

Powered by WorldNow

105 West Ferguson Street
Tyler, TX 75702

FCC Public File
publicfile@kltv.com
903-597-5588
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KLTV. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.