Duplex Destroyed in Weekend Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

04/23/07-Tyler

Duplex Destroyed in Weekend Fire

Two families are out of their duplex units after an accidental grease fire spread rapidly. 

It happened about 8:30 Sunday night at a duplex at the corner of Southgate Avenue and West Front Street in Tyler.  Fortunately, everyone got out, but the building is a total loss.

Charlotte Matthews says instead of clicking the knob on her stove to "off", she accidentally turned it to high.  Outside walking her dog, she noticed smoke pouring from inside.  When firefighters got the flames out, she learned she had little left.

"The door was already open, and you could see the flames just bursting out.  I was just not going to go in there, and my car was over here, so some people came over and helped me to push it out of the way.  [All I have now is] just that old '92 Buick," Matthews said.

Matthews's belongings were not insured, and she's looking for a place to stay. The other unit was heavily damaged by smoke, and can't be lived in either.

Powered by Frankly