Tyler affiliate of the Susan G. Komen funds community outreach programs - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

Tyler affiliate of the Susan G. Komen funds community outreach programs

Tyler AFFILIATE of the Susan G. Komen For the Cure Funds COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAMS

  The Tyler affiliate of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure has awarded community grants totaling $250,000 to support Smith County's area breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs.

The Komen Tyler Affiliate's local fundraising efforts, such as the Komen Tyler Race for the Cure®, have enabled it to fund projects such as "Breast Health and Screening Initiative" a $200,000 grant project to pay for breast diagnostic services for women who can't afford them through the Northeast Texas Public Health District, and a $10,680 grant program to hold a special retreat in October for breast cancer patients through East Texas Medical Center. Trinity Mother Frances Health System received a $23,491 grant for "A Hopeful Journey" program which provides rehabilitation products, training sessions in the community for Breast Self Exams (BSE) and to hold a forum for the community that focuses on the Hispanic population at risk for breast cancer.  Trinity Clinic Medical Genetics received a $5,955 grant to provide genetic testing and evaluation for high risk breast cancer patients while Cancer Foundation for Life received a $12,480 grant for a conditioning program for breast cancer survivors through education, exercise and treatment.            

"In order to ensure our funds are making the greatest impact, the Komen Tyler Affiliate works with local medical experts and community leaders to conduct comprehensive community needs assessments," said Clay Thompson, Komen Tyler Affiliate Grants Chairman and Board Member. "We have identified specific, unmet breast health needs within our community and ‘filled in the gaps,' delivering the life-saving message of early detection and providing assistance to medically-underserved breast cancer patients and their families."

Up to 75 percent of funds raised by a Komen Affiliate remains in the community to fund local breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. Remaining income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs around the world.

The Komen Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at the age of 36. The Komen Foundation is the world's largest private funder of community-based breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs. Together with its Affiliate Network, corporate partners and generous donors, the Komen Foundation has raised over a billion dollars for the fight against breast cancer.

For more information about breast health, visit www.komen.org, or call the National Toll-Free Breast Care Helpline, 1.800 I'M AWARE® (1.800.462.9273).

Powered by Frankly