Fire Department Encouraging People To Check Smoke Detectors - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

2/14/07-Longview

Fire Department Encouraging People To Check Smoke Detectors

After a series of fatal fires across the country, 28 just last week, the Longview Fire Department is pleading with you to check your smoke detector.   A fatal fire, a month ago, in Longview, is a local example of where a smoke detector could possibly have saved lives and it's another reason the fire department wanted us to pass along this message.

"It's proven that smoke detectors save lives everyday, but we still have instances where people losing their lives due to removing their smoke detectors or forget to replace the battery," says Mark Moore, fire investigator with the Longview Fire Department.

Moore says smoke detectors likely saved the lives of some Longview residents from a small fire on Tuesday. Little damage was done and they were able to call the fire department quickly.

Tracy Watler/Reporting: tracy@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly