Doctor Denies Saying That Castro In Serious Condition
Cuban President Fidel Castro hasn't been seen in public since having surgery in July.
A Spanish doctor who examined Cuban leader Fidel Castro last month told CNN he is not the source of a report in a Spanish newspaper that said Castro suffered from a serious infection of the large intestine and remains in serious condition.
Dr. Jose Luis Garcia Sabrido, chief of surgery at the public hospital Gregorio Maranon in Madrid, told CNN's Al Goodman Tuesday morning that any statement that did not come directly from Castro's doctors was "without foundation."
Dr. Garcia Sabrido said he stood by his statement made late last month in which he said Castro is recovering from his ailments and does not have cancer. At that time, Dr. Garcia Sabrido told reporters on Dec. 26 that Castro was doing "fantastically well" with his treatment.
The newspaper El Pais reported that two sources at the same Madrid hospital told its reporters that Castro had suffered complications after three failed surgeries to correct the problems.
The paper reported that Castro suffered from diverticulitis, an inflammation of sacs on the large intestine that can rupture and cause bleeding. The infection spread to the tissue on the walls of the abdomen, a condition called peritonitis.
The infections, the paper said, have impeded the healing process.
The report was posted on the newspaper's Web site early Tuesday and then on the front page of its Madrid print edition.
Dr. Garcia Sabrido, when approached by CNN's Goodman at the hospital on Tuesday, said he was unaware of the newspaper report. He then scanned Goodman's copy and commented.
"Any statement that doesn't come directly from his (Castro's) medical team is without foundation," the doctor said.
Castro, 80, underwent intestinal surgery on July 31 and has not been seen in public since. The Cuban government has released at least one video of him.