More Bombs More Bodies In Baghdad - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

9/13/06

More Bombs More Bodies In Baghdad

Iraqis walk Wednesday near a car that was destroyed in a bombing in Baghdad. The bomb killed at least 14. Iraqis walk Wednesday near a car that was destroyed in a bombing in Baghdad. The bomb killed at least 14.
An Iraqi family mourns as they pick up the body of a relative from the morgue in Baghdad on Wednesday. An Iraqi family mourns as they pick up the body of a relative from the morgue in Baghdad on Wednesday.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Separate bomb attacks took at least 22 lives in Baghdad on Wednesday, police said.

At least 14 people were killed and 67 were wounded in central Baghdad when a roadside bomb exploded about 8:30 a.m. near a police patrol, police said.

One police officer was among the dead and at least four were injured in the blast near the Baghdad traffic police headquarters.

Later, shortly before noon, a car bomb detonated near a police patrol in the Zayouna section of eastern Baghdad, killing eight people and wounding 19, Baghdad emergency police said.

Three police officers died in the attack and four were wounded.

In yet another attack, a traffic police officer and three civilians were wounded when two mortars exploded near the Iraqi army's Al-Muthana recruiting center in northern Baghdad, police said.

In southern Baghdad's Dora neighborhood, police found four more bodies, adding to the 60 slain bodies found dumped across the sprawling capital on Tuesday.

The bodies are believed to be victims of Sunni-Shiite sectarian violence -- shot execution style and frequently showing signs of torture, which police say is the preferred method of sectarian slayings.

The year's second-highest monthly total of bodies arrived at Baghdad's morgue in August, Iraqi authorities said, but the figures do not include people killed by bombs or other mass attacks.

About 1,500 bodies were delivered to Baghdad's morgue last month, according to figures provided by an Iraqi Health Ministry official on condition of anonymity. The figure is second only to July's toll of 1,850 bodies.

Of the bodies taken to the morgue last month, 90 percent had been shot, the official said. The other 10 percent were killed by other means, including torture, beheading and stabbing, the official said.

The official noted that the morgue figures did not include most bombing victims, as that number was calculated separately.

On Monday, the U.S. Command acknowledged that its report of a dramatic drop in murders in Baghdad last month did not include people killed by bombs, mortars, rockets or other mass attacks, The Associated Press reported. The count only included victims of drive-by shootings and those killed by torture and execution.

Two U.S. service members killed

Two U.S. service members were killed this week during operations around the capital, the U.S. military reported Wednesday.

Late Tuesday, a U.S. soldier was killed when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb while traveling south of Baghdad.

On Monday, a U.S. Marine died of injuries received in "enemy action" during an operation in Iraq's Anbar province, a Sunni stronghold west of Baghdad, the military said.

The Marine was serving in a battalion under I Marine Expeditionary Force.

The deaths brought to 2,666 the number of U.S. troops killed in the Iraq war. Seven U.S. civilian contractors of the military also have died in the conflict.

Other developments

  • The chief prosecutor in Saddam Hussein's genocide trial demanded Wednesday that the presiding judge step down, accusing him of bias toward the deposed leader and his co-defendants. Iran's president -- hosting a visit from Iraq's prime minister and expressing support for his country's beleaguered war-torn neighbor -- said the Islamic republic supports a united Iraq and will help the nation "establish full security," an Iranian news agency reported. 
  • The commander of the U.S. Marine force in Iraq denied on Tuesday that his troops had lost control of Anbar, Iraq's largest province, Reuters reported. In a statement, Maj. Gen Richard Zilmer, commander of the 2nd Marine Division, said media reports "fail to accurately capture the entirety and complexity" of the situation in Anbar.

    CNN's Jomana Karadsheh and Mohammed Tawfeeq contributed to this report.

    Copyright 2006 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Powered by Frankly