First Fire Fatality In Jacksonville In Seven Years - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

7/21/06-Jacksonville

First Fire Fatality In Jacksonville In Seven Years

Dozens of firefighters are called out to battle a blaze at a Jacksonville home. Sadly, they were not able to save the life of an elderly man.

The overnight blaze was the first fatal fire Jacksonville has had in the last seven years. Clarence Brown, 74, of Jacksonville was sleeping at his home in the 900 block of Florence Street when the fire happened.

There's no official cause yet, but officials say a battery being charged in the home may have contributed to the fire. The fire destroyed the home. It did not threaten any other structures, but it took firefighters an hour to get it under control. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly before 2:00 a.m. and by the time they arrived, the house was fully engulfed in flames.

City of Jacksonville Fire Chief Rodney Kelley says it wasn't until they were at the scene that they discovered that Clarence Brown was inside. "During the fire attack, we found out there was an elderly man inside the house and we went to a complete search and rescue as opposed to firefighting and search," said Kelley.

Clarence Browns' body has been sent for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death. Brown lived alone at the residence so there was no one else inside the home.  One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion.    

Oralia Ortega, Reporting.  ortega@kltv.com  

 

Powered by Frankly