Man's Welding Starts Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

4/15/06-Winona

Man's Welding Starts Fire

A man was welding in a salvage yard when the flame started his pants on fire and eventually spread through a field. It happened around 4:00 p.m. behind the old Winona Elementary School located on FM 16 East.

Firefighters say about three acres burned. Because of the wind, firefighters say the flames spread quickly. It took the Winona, Lindale and Red Springs Volunteer Fire Departments about an hour to get the blaze under control. Seven cars went up in flames, along with an old well house.

Officials say they got the fire out just in time. "The main thing is all the houses around," said Winona Fire Chief Nelson Brumley. "There's a house on the back corner here. There's another house over there. If it would have got out of this area, there is no telling where it would have went. When it reaches the other side it's just pasture from here to Big Sandy."

Firefighters say it's still very dry and with the strong winds it's a good idea not to burn anything.

Molly Reuter reporting, mreuter@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly