Family Grateful To Have Escaped Fire Alive

An East Texas family is thankful they escaped a house fire alive. The home is in Smith County off County Road 4116. That's just north of Lindale city limits. The back bedrooms were destroyed. Fire officials believe the fire started by the nightstand in one of the bedrooms. The homeowner, Dollie Adkins, is wheelchair bound and was inside when the fire started. She feared the home, that has been in the family for decades, would burn to the ground. "That's what I thought because when I seen the smoke coming toward the north when I was sitting there... I just said thank God that we was all right," says Dollie fighting tears. Dollie says she's grateful for her relatives who live nearby. Dollie's daughter helped wheel her out of the house after the fire started, while other relatives fought thick smoke to remove valuables from the house so they wouldn't be destroyed.

Christine Nelson reporting.