An East Texas family lost lifelong valuables in a barn fire. It happened around 1:30 this afternoon in the Monroe community, near the Gregg and Rusk county lines. There home is located on F.M. 1249 and state highway 322. That's just south of East Texas Regional Airport.
Firefighters believe a relative left a fire unattended in a burn pit. The family lost more than 100 chickens, farm equipment and family keepsakes from the 19th century. Those who were staying at the guest house were evacuated.
The Lakeport, Chapel Hill and Elderville volunteer fire departments were called out to help.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported.