Family Loses Home In Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

12/22/05-Longview

Family Loses Home In Fire

  Three days from Christmas , an East Texas family narrowly escapes a fire but the flames claim everything they owned. It happened in Marion County near Lake O' The Pines on Boondock Road off of FM 729. The victims in this case are deaf and the fire even claimed their special aids that allowed them partial hearing.

      46 year old Boyd Ayers smelled smoke this morning and immediately got his two kids, and two kids staying with them out of the house. Within minutes everything was gone.

      "My only thought was to get the children out and I went to a relative's house and called police, I lost my business but I'm not thinking of that right now" said Ayers.

      All of their Christmas presents were destroyed, even their Christmas turkey was a casualty. The news of their suffering, at this time of year, was too much even for the men who fought the blaze.

    "Kind of tough on Christmas, the family was actually ringing bells yesterday in Longview for the Salvation Army" said tearful Mims Volunteer Firefighter Lex Jones.

    They were well known to the community, and had even taken homeless people into their home. They now find themselves starting over.

    "I miss the little things like pictures of my family that can't be replaced I'll miss everything" said Boyd's wife Paula.

     A fund has been set up to help the Ayers family. You can help them by making donations at the "Northeast Texas credit union" in Jefferson.

Bob Hallmark reporting. bhallmark@kltv.com

 

Powered by Frankly