An early morning fire in northern Gregg county takes the life of a 98-year-old woman. The home is at the corner of Lonesome Pine and Hunter Roads in the Pleasant Hill community. Fire investigators suspect a wood-burning stove started the blaze. Eulla Nelson-Willis died in the blaze.
Many knew her best by her nickname "Grandma Yella." Friends and family describe her as someone who's door was always open and who never met a stranger.
"She raised me 'till I was a grown man, so I owe a lot to her. She was a wonderful woman, a wonderful woman. I'll never forget her," said grandson Terry Dixon.
"It's kind of hard for me to figure out, I saw her Sunday and she was doing fine. Today, I ain't got no momma," said her oldest son Benny Holland.
"When I got here I was just shocked because she was such a strong woman; I never thought anything like this would take her out. She was amazing," said granddaughter Carolyn Bradley.
The man who lived with "Grandma Yella" was a homeless man she took in. Fifty-two-year-old Ellis Jones was taken to the hospital with smoke inhalation and burns and remains in ICU at Longview Regional.
The family is planning funeral arrangements for Sunday, a time has not been set.
An autopsy has been ordered. Gregg county fire marshals will continue this investigation.
Bob Hallmark, Reporting. email@example.com