Kilgore Woman Dies In Fire - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

10/29/05-Longview

Kilgore Woman Dies In Fire

A house fire in Kilgore claims the life of a 95-year-old woman, well know as Granny Miller. Fire crews rushed to the 1100 block of Southport yesterday around 5:00 p.m. Investigators believe the elderly woman who lived there, Maudie Miller, had her clothes catch on fire, possibly from an electrical short. But news of her death has her family reflecting on her remarkable life, and how she worked from an early age to help her family.

"She took in washing and ironing to make a living for her kids. She was just granny and she was precious. We all loved her," said daughter-in-law Sandra Waits.

"We always figured we'd find momma right out here in this yard working. That's where she wanted to be. I just can't believe this happened so quick," said Millers' son, Blueford Waits.

She was tenaciously independent, even raking leaves in her yard the day before the fire. Relatives say she was tough as boot leather, but she had a soft side.

"She wanted everybody to be their own person, and get along and do what they wanted to do like she wanted to do," says Blueford.

Her spirit was something no one will soon forget.

"If someone came along and she was doing something and they wanted to help she'd say, 'No I can do this. I'm not an invalid.' She'd say, 'Let me do it. It keeps me going,'" Blueford says.

Funeral services for Miller will be held on Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. at Rader Funeral Home.

Bob Hallmark reporting, bhallmark@kltv.com

Powered by Frankly