Longview Fire Department: Cooking oil, exhaust led to separate house fires

Longview Fire Department: Cooking oil, exhaust led to separate house fires

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - Longview officials have determined the causes of two separate residential structure fires this past weekend.

Officials say a pan of cooking oil and an exhaust fan are likely to blame for the fires, according to a Longview Fire Department news release.

About 1:56 p.m. Saturday, firefighters reponded to a fire in the 100 block of Melba Street. When crews arrived, they found a fire in the kitchen. According to the news release, a resident was pre-heating a pan of cooking oil and it caught on fire.

The damage was contained to the kitchen and no injuries were reported. The resident was also not displaced.

While crews were responding to that fire, they received a report of a separate fire in the 2100 block of Tryon Road, Unit No. 4. Firefights found smoke coming from a second-floor apartment when they arrived, the news release states.

That fire was contained to a bathroom and is believed to have originated from an exhaust fan.

No one was home at the time of that fire.

Working smoke detectors were found at both homes.

Copyright 2018 KLTV. All rights reserved.