Firefighters responding to apartment fire in Tyler

(Source: KLTV Staff)
(Source: KLTV Staff)
(Source: KLTV Viewer)
(Source: KLTV Viewer)
(Source: KLTV Viewer)
(Source: KLTV Viewer)

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Tyler Fire Department are on the scene of an apartment fire in Tyler.

According to a reporter on the scene, the fire occurred on the 400 block of S Bonner St. There is visible smoke coming from the residence.

East Texas News spoke to a deputy fire marshal with the City of Tyler and several witnesses at the scene. According to the accounts, a man started cooking some French fries on his stove top and forgot about them.

The man left his ground-floor apartment to go get some food, and when he returned, his apartment was filled with smoke as a result of the grease overheating and catching on fire. When the man attempted to turn the stove off, he was unable to do so because of the heat.

Witnesses said the man grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to put the fire out himself, but he was unsuccessful.

At that point, a neighbor called 911.

No one was hurt in the kitchen fire, and the deputy fire marshal said TFD crews were able to contain the flames to the apartment where the fire started. The apartment where the fire started and several neighboring apartments suffered smoke damage.

Copyright 2018 KLTV.com. All rights reserved.