TxDOT inspection finds two Tyler bridges in need of replacement - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News

TxDOT inspection finds two Tyler bridges in need of replacement

Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff) Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff)
Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff) Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff)
Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff) Bridge at Sonnybrook and Camellia. (Source: KLTV News Staff)
TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

Two bridges that connect a Tyler neighborhood are in the process of being replaced.

An inspection by The Texas Department of Transportation found that the bridges at the corners of Sunnybrook and Azalea Drive and Sunnybrook and Camelia Street have reached the end of their structural life cycle.

TxDOT Engineer Vernon Webb says the bridges were selected by the Federal Highway Bridge Program to be replaced after an inspection of their geometry, load capacity, and clearance. The federal program will cover 80 percent of the cost for replacement with TxDOT and the City of Tyler splitting the remaining 20 percent.

"The highway bridge program is a great program,” says Webb. “It was designed to increase the safety of our bridges throughout the nation."

TxDOT says the bridges are still safe until their replacement, which is set to begin in March of 2019. Webb says their intent is to do the bulk of the work while school is out.

Before construction can begin, the City of Tyler has to relocate all water and sewer lines underneath the bridges. If they can not be moved Webb says TxDOT is prepared to come up with alternative solutions for the replacement.

City Engineer Lisa Crossman say's once construction starts, those in the area may experience minor water outages in addition to the closed roads.

The City of Tyler says they will notify residents in advance if they are going to experience outages.

These outages wouldn't occur until construction begins in March of 2019 and should last for no more than a day.

Copyright 2018 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly