Big Sandy Loses Home To Fire

A Big Sandy family lost their home Sunday. Their house started on fire around 12:45 p.m. Sunday afternoon. It happened in Big Sandy off Highway 80 on West Gilmer Street. Firefighters say the fire started in a storage shed behind the house. They say the shed was fully engulfed when they got there. The back of the house then caught on fire. The woman who lives at the home was grocery shopping when the fire started. Firefighters say her teenage children were there, but they got out before the fire reached the house.

"Some of the fire departments went in with air packs because the roof had already began burning inside," said Sonny Parsons, the mayor of Big Sandy. "There was a lot of water damage inside the house as well." Firefighters say they don't know the cause of the fire. The family lost everything in the house, and the city is asking for help. Right now the family needs clothes and shoes. They need size 14 women's pants, sizes 34/32, 36/32, and 36/34 men's pants and size 10 women's shoes.

You can drop off donations at the Big Sandy city hall. For more information on what's needed call (903)-636-4343.

Molly Reuter, reporting.