(KLTV) - President Trump and officials are speaking today on the deadly mass shooting at a Florida High School on Wednesday.
Trump addressed the victims, their families, and the nation saying "Your suffering is our burden also. No child, no teacher should ever be in danger in an American school. No parent should have to fear for their child when they kiss them goodbye in the morning."
The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, 19 a former student, was charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder on Thursday after he opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Cruz allegedly set off fire alarms at the school about 10 minutes before dismissal time, and then opened fire as students and faculty filed into common areas, thinking it was a drill. 17 people were killed and 15 were injured. Officials are asking for privacy for the families at this time.
Today, the sheriff of Broward County spoke and said people need to speak up if they notice something suspicious. He pleaded with the public to not stay quiet and voice concerns.
President Donald Trump issued a proclamation honoring the victims Wednesday night.
Today Trump spoke directly to the American children saying, "I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you and who will do anything at all to protect you."
Trump said his administration is working to aid in the investigation and he'll be meeting with attorney generals later this month. He vowed that his administration would focus on mental health.
"It is not enough to take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make a difference," said Trump.
The president also has announced he will be making a trip to Parkland, Florida soon.
This is the 18th school shooting this year.
The school is closed for the rest of the week, Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said. The district will offer grief counseling to students and their families.
Dr. Evan Boyer along with two of his colleagues spoke today about treating the victims. Boyer said that he along with other doctors recently participated in a drill for an active shooter situation, which helped them act quickly in caring for the injured patients.
The hospital received 7 patients. One was discharged Wednesday night, one was in critical condition that had to have surgery immediately, two stable patients also required surgery. Doctors say out of the six patients remaining at the hospital, they're hoping to send two home today.
Officials say a GoFundMe account has been set up and will be taking donations for the families of the victims. So far the account has raised more than $310,000.