(KLTV/KTRE) - Shalene McNeill with the Texas Beef Council and BeeflovingTexans.com shares a great recipe to fill up your family on a chilly night.
Southwestern Beef and Sweet Potato Pie
• 1 pound lean ground beef
• 1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 large jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
• 1 package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place chopped sweet potato in a small saucepan, cover with water and add salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
2. In a deep skillet begin browning meat, over medium heat, breaking it up to a crumbly mixture. Add onion and jalapeño and continue cooking until meat is just cooked and then add garlic. Stir to combine and cook another minute. Drain the beef mixture in a colander and then return to the skillet.
3. Add in water and seasonings. Stir to combine and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sweet potatoes and cheese.
4. Unroll one pie crust. You may have to roll it out with a rolling pin, making it a little larger if you have a deeper pie pan. Center crust in pan and add meat mixture.