(KLTV/KTRE) - Frito pie is the perfect tailgating food, right? It's also perfect anytime you want delicious comfort food. Check out the way the beef experts and the Texas Beef Council make it:
Friday night lights frito pie
• 8 bags (1 or 2 ounce) of corn chips
• 2 pounds ground beef
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 can (10 ounces) of diced tomatoes and green chilies
• 1 can (8 ounces) of tomato sauce
• 1 and 1/2 cups of beer (brewed in Texas preferred)
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
• 2 tablespoon cornmeal or masa harina
• Salt to taste
• 1 and 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, minced green onion, sour cream
1. Set a large dutch oven over high heat, add half the olive oil and brown the ground beef. Work in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding the pan and stewing the beef in its own juices.
2. Remove the beef and set aside. Add the remaining oil, and the onion, and cook until nicely browned.
3. Add ground beef back in, along with garlic, chili powder, cayenne, cumin and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Add in the beer, diced tomatoes and green chilies, and tomato sauce, then bring to a low simmer. Cover with a lid and allow to bubble and simmer so sauce reduces and thickens, and the flavors intensify, about 1 hour.
5. After an hour, stir through the cornmeal which will help to thicken the sauce. If sauce starts to get too thick, add a little water, and if it's not yet thick enough, continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached.
6. Slice or fold open the bags, and spoon the chili on top of the corn chips. Then top each bag with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Allow to melt slightly, then serve and enjoy.